Eurosport suspends Probellum fight nights amid scrutiny around Daniel Kinahan

0

EXCLUSIVE: Eurosport shelves are battling nights amid scrutiny around boxing promotion Probellum and alleged crime lord Daniel Kinahan – who has a $5million reward for his government arrest American for international drug trafficking and money laundering

  • Eurosport has dropped the last two Probellum shows of a five-fight deal
  • sports mail understands that additional due diligence has been carried out by Eurosport
  • Probellum strongly insists they have no connection to wanted man Daniel Kinahan
  • Last week, Kinahan received a $5 million bounty on the head from the US government

Eurosport has shelved plans to air future shows hosted by promotions company Probellum amid growing scrutiny of Daniel Kinahan’s links to boxing.

Probellum chairman Richard Schaefer has firmly insisted there is no connection between his company and the alleged crime lord, who has been offered a $5million bounty by the US government .

But the emerging force of the British promotion has now suffered a major blow, as sports mail understands that Eurosport has dropped the two remaining shows from a deal it struck with them in March. The first of those, headlined by the WBO world bantamweight title fight between John Riel Casimero and Paul Butler in Liverpool, was due to air on Friday.

A source said sports mail that the broadcaster has done additional due diligence around Probellum, which promotes several fighters advised by Kinahan.

Eurosport, which had entered into a five-show non-commercial partnership with the company to test the boxing market, declined to comment when contacted by sports mail.

While the developments around Kinahan have caused widespread uncertainty within boxing, Probellum has firmly maintained that they are not business related to the Irishman.

The US government will pay $5 million to anyone who can help them arrest Daniel Kinahan, wanted for international drug trafficking and money laundering.

Probellum chairman Richard Schaefer (right) has denied the promotion has any ties to Kinahan as Eurosport suspends the final two fights of a five-fight deal amid Kinahan scrutiny

Probellum chairman Richard Schaefer (right) has denied the promotion has any ties to Kinahan as Eurosport suspends the final two fights of a five-fight deal amid Kinahan scrutiny

In March, a Pakistani politician, Rai Taimoor Khan Bhatti, posted photos of himself with Kinahan on Twitter, with the message: ‘Put Probellum on aligning vision on boxing for Punjab and how to make the sport bigger for our young people. Looking forward to welcoming Daniel to Lahore to discuss Pakistan’s first international fight with world class foreign boxers.

Probellum argued that the post was “misleading and factually inaccurate” and reiterated that Kinahan had no organizational or financial connection to the company.

It was also reported that Probellum’s trademark was registered in 2019 by MTK Global, the management company co-founded by Kinahan.

It was claimed that Kinahan cut all ties in 2017 with MTK, whose website lists Tyson Fury among their fighters, although Fury’s US promoter Bob Arum said last week that Kinahan was still involved.

Tyson Fury has distanced himself from Daniel Kinahan - who is wanted by America

Tyson Fury has distanced himself from Daniel Kinahan – who is wanted by America

Kinahan and WBC heavyweight champion Fury were pictured in Dubai two months ago

Kinahan and WBC heavyweight champion Fury were pictured in Dubai two months ago

With several Probellum fighters connected to MTK and Kinahan, including world flyweight champion Sunny Edwards, who described him as an “old friend”, Schaefer said last week that their boxers should cut ties with the mobster. presumed.

sports mail understands that on Tuesday, Probellum circulated a document to their fighters that they must sign to declare that they will have no ongoing involvement with MTK or Kinahan.

Meanwhile, Bob Yalen has stepped down as CEO of MTK Global.

Yalen said, “I am incredibly proud of the success of MTK Global and feel privileged to have served as Chairman and CEO since 2018. However, the pressure over the past few weeks has been particularly intense.

“I have to consider the impact on myself and my family. So after four years at the head of MTK, I think it’s time for me to step down to take on new challenges.

Advertisement

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.